CORAL REEFS

  • 4 (1)

Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Giardia intestinalis

                                   Giardia intestinalis
                                                Systematic position
                                                Phylum- Protozoa
                                   Subphylum- Sarcomastigophora
                                         Class- Mastigophora
                                        Order- Polymastigina
                                             Genus- Giardia
                                       Species- intestinalis

                                                     History

—  First seen by Leeuwenhoek in 1681

—  Discovered in his own stool

                                  Geographical distribution

—                                           World-wide

                                               Habitat
—  Duodenum & upper part of jejunum of  man

                                     Morphology

—  Exists in two phases             :1.Trophozoite                                2.Cyst

                                                  Trophozoite

—  Looks like a tennis racket in flat view & like a split pear in longitudinal view
—  Dorsal surface convex, ventral surface concave with a sucking disc
—  14 µm long & 7 µm broad
—  Anterior end broad & rounded, posterior end tapers to a sharp point
—  Bilaterally symmetrical
—  All body organs paired
—  Two axostyles, two nuclei & four pairs of flagella

                                                        Cyst

—  Oval, 12 µm long, 7µm broad
—  Axostyles lie more or less diagonally, forming a sort of dividing line within cyst wall
—  4 nuclei, clustered at one end/ lie in pairs at opposite poles
—  Remains of flagella & margins of sucking disc may be seen inside cytoplasm
—  Acid environment causes parasite to encyst

                                                      Life cycle

—  In trophozoite stage parasite multiplies in man’s intestine by binary fission
—  Under unfavourable conditions in duodenum parasite encysts, usually in large intestine
—  In the cyst a thick resistant wall secreted by parasite, divides into two within cyst
—  Man becomes infected by ingestion of cysts
—  Just after 30 minutes of ingestion cyst hatches into 2 trophozoites & multiply in enormous numbers, colonize in duodenum
—  To avoid high acidity of duodenum Giardia localises in biliary tract

                                                  Pathogenicity

—  Sucking disc helps the parasite to attach from the convex surface to epithelial cells of intestine
—  Causes disturbance in intestinal function, leading to malabsorption of fat
—  Patient may complain looseness of bowels, mild steatorrhoea (passage of yellowish & greasy stools due to excess of fat)
—  Parasite is also capable of causing harm by toxic effects (allergy), traumatic, irritative & spoilative action

                                              Laboratory Diagnosis

—  Microscopical examination of freshly passed stool for demonstration of trophozoites & cysts
—  Trophozoites may be recovered both in bile A (aspirated from duodenum) & B (removed from bile duct) drawn by duodenal intubation

                                                       Treatment

—  Atebrin & acranil- effective for giardiasis
—  Schneider (1961) reported good results with a derivative of imidazole
—  Chloroquine in doses of 300 mg base once daily for 5 days is also effective

1 comment:

  1. It was during my research on HIV/Herpes/Diabetes that I stumbled upon the Hiv/Herpes/diabetes information; information which is quite easy to find when doing a search for STD on google. I was into conspiracy at the time and thought of HIV/Herpes Cured' being a conspiracy was something ignorant though,I found it pretty interesting about Dr Itua herbal medicine. I asked questions about the Herbal cure's on official HIV/Herpes/diabetes websites and I was banned for doing so by moderators who told me that I was parroting Hiv/Herpes propaganda. This reinforced my belief that there is a cure for Hiv/Herpes/diabetes Then i found a lady from germany name Achima Abelard Dr Itua Cure her Hiv/diabetes so I send him a mail about my situation then talk more about it and send me his herbal medicine I drank for two weeks.And today I'm Cured no Hiv/Herpes/diabetes in my life,I searched for Hiv/Herpes groups to attempt to make contact with people in order to learn more about Hiv/Herpes Herbal Cure I believed at this time that you with the same disease this information is helpful to you and I wanted to do the best I could to spread this information in the hopes of helping other people.That Dr Itua cure Hiv,Herpes,Hepatitis,Diabetes,Copd,Fibroid,Als, And Cancer. He's a herbal doctor with a unique heart of God, Contact Emal..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com

    ReplyDelete